A little black dress or LBD is a wardrobe staple for every woman. It’s a blank canvas to show off your personal style. Whether you prefer to keep it simple or jazz it up with accessories, we’re here to help you get inspired. It’s a game-changer and has long been the fail-safe style for evening wear, and still remains a timeless classic for day or night
From velvet to lace, sleeves to strapless – there’s a whole host of LBD’s to suit any body shape and every budget. Most of you likely own, and heavily depend on your trusted LBD to take you through the party season and beyond, and naturally, with frequent wear, it can often become tricky to re-work your favorite frock time and time again to avoid that look of sameness.
Having just one LBD is probably not enough. Having a small selection—so that you can dress up a little black dress or make it casual—will lend even more versatility to your wardrobe.
The key to making a neutral item like your LBD work for many occasions is that you want it to be neither too naturally dressy (not made of satin or silk) or casual (made from cotton). Something that is cocktail length (not floor) is also easier to style in multiple ways.
How to Dress Up Your LBD for Formal Dinners
Add a touch of sparkle and your evening shoes.
I generally advise against traveling with your expensive ‘real’ jewelry in case of loss or luggage theft! Instead why not pair some fun costume pieces that have dazzle or sparkle with your LBD to give it a little more evening wear oomph.
- Taking some pashmina style shawls in a few colours will give you the option to make your outfits look more different and there are lots of ways to tie them (check out this video for 13 different ways to tie a pashmina). By taking different colors (as color is what we remember most) it will make your outfit appear more different each time you wear it.
- Add a little sparkle with a sequin shrug, this really dresses up your LBD.
- Change up the look with different colored costume jewellery.
Dress Down Your LBD
So for more casual dinners and events, you can dress your LBD down so it feels like a different outfit completely.
Pair with your more casual sandal or espadrille to take it down a level of refinement.
- Throw on a denim jacket
- Add a colorful kimono duster
- Pair with a cotton cardigan and scarf
- Add a decorative shawl or scarf in a colourful pattern
Accessories are key to creating a polished look for any occasion. Simply mix and match an accessory or two and you’re sure to make an impression anywhere you go.
And check out this article from the Telegraph for adding some special glamor.
In this next grouping, we’ll show just how versatile the LBD can be by using layers to transform it for every need. This black Maje dress can take you from work, to dinner, to the ballet, and to brunch the next day.
These are just a few ideas on how to change the look of a single garment quickly and easily. There are many more looks and you can see them on our Little Black Dress Pinterest page.
Summing up these ideas in this video